Calle 24 began in 1999 as a grassroots organization formed by community members of Calle 24 in the Mission District. We are an all-volunteer organization with diverse community council members representing merchants, residents, landlords, service non-profits, arts organizations, youth, renters, homeowners, families and artists. We have deep roots in the Mission District going back generations.
Our legacy businesses have helped build the rich cultural and social fabric on 24th Street. Since the beginning, we have worked with the local community and responded to their needs.
In May 2014, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors and the Mayor officially established the Latino Cultural District. Our task since then has been to determine the neighborhood’s vision for the Latino Cultural District. Our vision, mission, goals, governance, and programs were established through this public and inclusive process.
Previous and Current Projects
- Community Safety Forums.
- Sidewalk Repairs 2005, 2008.
- Installation of Stop Signs along 24th St.
- Complete Renovation and Capital Improvement of 24th Street Mini Park at 24th at York.
- Mural Restoration at 24th Mini Park. In collaboration with Precita Eyes.
- Sidewalk Title Mosaic on 24th St. between York and Bryant Streets. In collaboration with Precita Eyes.
- Clean Streets in collaboration with DPW (Corridors Ambassadors Program).
- General Public & 24th St. Merchant Safety Education Program.
- Easter Egg Event at Mini Park for local Children, Toy and Book drive for local non-profit Mission Education Project Inc.
- Fundraising for local non-profits on 24th St. serving children from low income families.
- Christmas Tree lights on 24th St.
- Children’s movie night at 24th St. Mini Park. In collaboration with Brava Theater Center.
- 24th St. Beautification project in collaboration with merchants funded by the Mayor’s Beautification Fund: The project included, planter boxes, sidewalk steam cleaning, youth hired for sidewalk street sweeping through and in collaboration with the Boys and Girls Club.
- Hosted with L’s Caffe, Mission Education Project and Brava Theater Center to Relive Mexico’s Golden Age of Cinema an opportunity for Latino Families to view Mexico’s legendary icons once again on the big screen at the Brava Theater on 24th St.
- Worked with DPW and Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services in creating a safer lot on 24th and Capp Streets by installing a decorated gate, landscaping and additional lights.
- In collaboration with Precita Eyes, merchants, residents and local independent artists, created a night-time gallery walk by painting murals on merchant roll downs and lighting them on 24th Street to preserve, promote and celebrate 24th St. murals, culture and businesses. It includes murals at 24th and Capp Streets parking lot.
- Merchant Alert Phone Tree System.
- Sidewalk repaving and curb repairs 2013 for Calle 24
- Community Engagement and Action Plan-Lighting, Events, Marketing 2011
- Merchant storefront lighting 2011-2012.
- First Fridays events 2010-2012.
- Co-Founders of Engage SF: Bringing new residents and long time residents together to create dialogue and share history and culture.
- Creation of the Calle 24 Latino Cultural District May 2014
Certificate of Recognition, Calle 24, 2014 Latino Heritage Month Award, Dedication to Preserving the Culture and Heritage of the Latino Community, Mayor Edwin Lee, Senator Mark Leno, Assembly Member Philip Y. Ting
Cesar E. Chavez Legacy Award 2014
Golden Wheel 2012, Partner in Innovation, SF Bicycle Coalition
Small Business Week Recognition, Certificate of Honor 2011, Supervisors Campos, Malia Cohen, Scott Wiener, Carmen Chu, Ross Mirkarimi, and David Chui
Certificate of Recognition, Discover 24th, 2011, Senator Mark Leno
Best Merchant Association of the Year 2011, Mayor Edwin Lee, Assemblywomen Fiona Ma, and Senator Mark Leno
Best Community Challenge Grant Project 2009 Mayor Gavin Newsom, Senator Mark Leno
Certificate of Honor, Art in Store Fronts Programs, 2009 Supervisor David Campos
Neighborhood Empowerment Network (NEN) for Come-Back Neighborhood of the Year 2008
San Francisco Beautiful, 2007 Beautification Award for 24th Street Mini Park Complete Capital Improvement Project.
Certificate of Recognition, 24th St. Friends of Mini Park, 2007 Assemblyman Mark Leno, Mayor Gavin Newsom
Outstanding Capital Project, Annual Stewardship Awards, 2007 Neighborhood Parks Council
Certificate of Honor, 2007 Mayor Gavin Newsom